Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Edamame Vegetable Soup with Wasabi Cream


Well I must admit, this soup doesn't look overly special in the picture. In fact, I figured that it would be pretty much like any other vegetable soup, with the exception of edamame beans and tofu. But there's something special about this soup; I think it comes in the form of sesame oil and soy sauce- they put a unique and lovely Asian spin on the soup. I thought about omitting the tofu, as I'm not a huge fan, but I'm glad I didn't. The recipe calls for medium-firm tofu, which was purchased, but in reality it was pretty soft. As a result, the tofu almost melted in my mouth and had a silky smooth texture, which was really lovely! Ha ha buttt there was a little blip in the radar. You see, I walk to work most days, and I also bring dinner most days. So from carrying my container of soup in my purse to work, the soup did not look like this picture by the time I got to work. Because the tofu was so soft, it kind of broke up and dissolved. The taste was still the same, but the broth looked creamy with a few tofu chunks. It was odd. I'm not going to lie, it threw me off at first, but then I got over it because it tasted so good!

Super easy, the whole thing takes maybe half an hour to make and cook, and it's nutritious. Now, as you can see in the picture, there appears to be no wasabi cream on top of the soup. That's because I didn't make it. I can't really handle spicy foods, and I'm definitely not into wasabi. However, I've included the recipe for the wasabi cream so that if you're into it, you can try it out!

Yield: 6 to 8 servings
Ingredients:
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 carrots, thinly sliced
2 stalks celery, thinly sliced
1 onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
4 cups vegetable broth
2 cups water
1 zucchini, thinly sliced
1/2 red pepper, diced
2 tablespoons sodium-reduced soy sauce
1 1/2 teaspoon grated fresh ginger or equivalent in dry
1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
Half package medium-firm tofu, drained
1 cup frozen shelled soybeans (edamame), thawed

Wasabi Cream:
1/2 cup sour cream
2 teaspoon minced fresh chives, green onions or fresh parsley
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon wasabi paste

Directions:

For the wasabi cream, mix together sour cream, chives, lemon juice and wasabi. Set aside in refrigerator.

In a Dutch oven or large saucepan, heat olive oil over medium heat and fry the carrots, celery, onion, garlic and pepper, stirring occasionally, until softened. This should take about 8-10 minutes.

Add broth, water, zucchini, red pepper, soy sauce, ginger and sesame oil; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until carrots are tender, about 8-10 minutes.

Cut tofu into 1/2 inch cubes. Add to soup along with soybeans and simmer for 3-4 minutes.

Serve in bowls and top with wasabi cream.

Source: Canadian Living; The Vegetarian Collection
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment