Saturday, May 5, 2012

Carrot Curry Soup with a hint of Coconut


This picture really does not do this soup justice. I LOVE this soup. It is SO tasty, SO easy, and SO healthy (well maybe not SO healthy, but it is all veggies!). I love curry. Or at least I think I do; my experience with curry really has been pretty limited to the few dishes I've made with the spice, and I'd like to make a distinction that I haven't actually had a 'curry' dish, if you know what I mean. For example, when people say 'let's go grab some curry' in the noun sense, rather than eating a dish with the spice in it. I hope I'm making sense. The point of what I'm saying is that I love curry, but I really haven't tried it too much, so maybe I don't like the real curry as much? Whatever.

This soup is really very easy. Half of the ingredients are tossed in first to soften with some oil, and the other half are added when the liquid goes in. Everything is pureed in the blender to create a beautifully smooth soup, and then it's reheated and some coconut milk goes in for a special kiss of flavour. I just love it so much. I will let you know though that the soup is on the thinner side, so if you like a thicker soup perhaps don't add as much liquid, or you could even add some flour in before adding the liquid. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do!

Yield: 4 servings
Ingredients:

2 1/2 large carrots, chopped
1 med-large onion, diced
2 celery stalks, chopped
1 garlic clove, minced
2 teaspoons vegetable oil (or whatever oil you have on hand)
1 heaping tablespoon curry
pinch of cumin
2 medium potatoes, diced
4 cups vegetable stock (or for those meat-eaters, chicken stock works)
1 cup water
1/3-1/2 cup coconut milk
salt and pepper to taste

Directions:
Heat a dutch oven or large saucepan on medium high and add oil to heat. Add in carrots, onion, celery and garlic and cook until softened, stirring occasionally to prevent burning, about 8 minutes. Add in the curry and cumin, and stir until fragrant. Add in the potatoes, vegetable stock and water. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat until simmering and cover with a lid. Simmer the soup until all the vegetables are tender, about 25 minutes.

Remove from heat and let cool slightly before blending**. Once cooled, blend the soup until smooth. You may have to do this in 2 portions. Return to heat and bring to a quick simmer. Add in the coconut milk and salt and pepper to taste. Serve when hot. Enjoy!

**I don't know if you've ever made the mistake of putting piping hot liquid into a blender and blending it, but if you have, you know that it almost always equals a disaster. Something about the hot liquid makes the blender explode, and so at least twice before that I can think of my kitchen has been covered with unusually bright red or orange liquid of some kind. Not just my kitchen, but usually myself as well, and when the liquid is hot it can really burn you. Not fun. You don't need to cool it completely, but when you do blend it make sure that the lid is closed tightly and wrap a towel around the top, just in case.

Source: A Sweet Treats & Healthy Eats original

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment