Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Blueberry Muffins

As Sean and I were doing some grocery shopping the other day, we noticed that blueberries were on sale: 2 pints for $5.00. We hummed and hawed over it for awhile, not convinced that they would be great or that they were worth spending the money on. So I thought, well, let's buy them and if they're a total flop, I'll just put them into blueberry muffins. Let me tell you, those were some of the tastiest blueberries I've bought from a grocery store at this time of year! We consumed 1 pint all in one sitting, and although I debated on eating the second pint just as they were, I decided I would stick with making muffins and buy more blueberries if they were still on sale (which sadly, I think they are not).



It turned out to be a great decision to use the second pint for muffins! I did a simple search for blueberry muffins online and found this one. After reading the reviews, it looked promising enough, so I gave it a shot. The muffin batter is fairly plain, so it really allows the blueberries to shine through and be the star of the dish. Using unripe or mushy blueberries would not have been ideal for this recipe. I thought about omitting the crumble on top, simply because I was feeling lazy, but then realized that I had some leftover crumble in the freezer from muffins I made a few months ago. It turned out to be a good choice, as the crumble was like the icing on a cake (maybe not quite as awesome as icing on cake...). To make the muffins slightly healthier, I chose to sub in some whole wheat flour for the all-purpose flour. I've reflected the changes below.

Yield: 8 large muffins
Ingredients:
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour (alternatively you could use all white flour, or add in more ww flour to your liking)
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 egg
1/2 cup milk (you may need to add more than this- I ended up just dumping some extra milk in without measuring because the batter was too think. I likely added at least a few tablespoons extra)
1 cup fresh blueberries
For the crumble:
1/4 cup sugar
1 tablespoon flour
1/8 cup butter, cubed
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

Directions:
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line muffin cups with liners.

Combine the flours, sugar, salt, and baking powder in a medium sized bowl. In a separate small bowl, mix together the vegetable oil, egg, and milk (start with 1/2 cup milk). Mix the liquid mixture into the flour mixture until just combined. If the batter is very thick and more like a cookie dough batter, slowly mix in milk until the batter is whisk-able. Fold in the blueberries. Fill muffin cups full to the top, and sprinkle with crumb topping mixture.

To make the crumb topping: Mix together the sugar, flour, butter and cinnamon. Use a fork to smash the butter into the other ingredients, until it resembles a course crumble.

Bake for 20 to 25 minutes in the oven, or until when a toothpick is inserted it comes out clean.



Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment