Saturday, June 23, 2012

Classic Whoopie Pies



Whoopie pies have been on my to-do list for months now, they just never made it to the top of my priorities. Finally though, I had a full weekend to myself- no volunteer commitments, no school work to do, nothing to do but relax and do what I wanted! The weather was beautiful and hot, and I was able to make it out to the beach with some friends of mine, and out for food and drinks afterwards! And the second day was full of laundry, shoe-shopping, and Ribest with the boys. Funny thing is, I went out to Ribfest 2 days in a row now, and I don't even eat meat! It was a lovely weekend, and now unfortunately I'm back to the grind and heading into work today. Saturdays (my Mondays) suck.

These whoopie pies turned out pretty great, with only a few flaws. For one, mine do not look picture perfect. I don't have a cookie scoop, just a regular spoon, so what resulted was more oval-shaped cookies rather than round cookies. For two, I only had 2 left to photograph because I gave the rest away before I could. For three, it is unbelievably hot in my apartment. If I haven't said so before, I live in a small apartment where all the windows are facing the sun, all day long. I'm up on the 8th floor and only have 1 window that actually opens. Which means, when it's 45 degrees outside with humidity, it's 55 degrees in here. I have an small old AC, but running it on high all day long only takes the edge off and it ramps up my hydro bills big time. So all of that is to say that the icing was so soft due to the heat, that when I tried sandwiching them together, they kept sliding off. I had to strategically position them in various locations so that they would stay. Originally I thought it was a complete failure, but after a few hours the icing had firmed up a bit and managed to stay together.

These cookie sandwiches are yummm-y! Lots of chocolate flavour, light and fluffy as clouds, with a deliciously sweet filling. The cookies are like soft cake.... cake cookies! The recipe I took from Annie's Eats was enough to make 24 sandwich cookies, which I definitely didn't need. So I cut the recipe in half, but still ended up with 16 cookies that were huge!! I would have actually preferred the cookies to be a bit smaller, so if I were to do it next time, I could half the recipe and still likely get 18-20 sandwich cookies out of it. Keep that in mind!

Yield: about 16 sandwich cookies

Ingredients:
For the cookies:
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp. salt
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 tbsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
1 cup sugar
1 large eggs
1 cup buttermilk, at room temperature
2 tsp. vanilla extract

For the filling:
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 cup powdered sugar, sifted
Half of a 7½ oz. marshmallow fluff container
1 tsp. vanilla extract

Directions:
Preheat the oven to 400˚ F. Combine the flour, salt, cocoa powder, baking soda, and baking powder in a bowl and whisk together. Set aside. 

In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine the butter and sugar. Beat together on medium-high speed until light and fluffy, 2-3 minutes. Beat in the egg until fully incorporated. Blend in the buttermilk and vanilla extract. Mix in the dry ingredients, blending just until combined.

Using a 1-oz dough scoop (or a spoon if you don't have one), drop the batter onto pans lined with parchment paper, about 12 cookies per pan. Bake for 10 minutes, rotating the pans halfway through baking. Allow to cool on the pan 5-10 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Repeat with the remaining batter.

To make the filling, place the butter in the bowl of a mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Beat on medium-high speed until smooth, 1-2 minutes. Blend in the confectioners’ sugar until incorporated. Beat in the marshmallow fluff and vanilla until light and fluffy, 2-3 minutes.

Once the cookies are completely cooled, match them up in pairs by size. Fill a pastry bag fitted with a plain tip (or if you don't have a plain tip, just leave it tip-less and it will work just as well) with the marshmallow filling. Pipe a dollop of marshmallow filling onto the flat side of one cookie of each pair, and sandwich the cookies together, pushing the filling to the edges. Store in an airtight container.

Source: Cookies and Filling from Martha Stewart (via Annie's Eats)

Pin It

1 comment:

  1. My husband would die for one of these. Maybe I'll attempt this recipe one day.

    ReplyDelete