Thursday, September 13, 2012

Bruschetta


While I made these a few weeks ago, my mother's garden is still producing exorbitant amounts of delicious tomatoes, which she keeps attempting to pawn off on me. Don't get me wrong, I love free food, especially fresh produce, but after the 6th time being asked while still having a ton of tomatoes still in my fridge, I had no say no... multiple times. In an attempt to use some of them up, I had this amazingly flavourful and light bruschetta, clearly best served with fresh tomatoes!

On a different note, I just started classes this week! A little nerve-wracking after taking a year off and moving into a graduate program, but exciting nonetheless. It's going to be a ton of work, but worth it in the end when I get to write a 'MSW' beside my name. Yay!

Ingredients:
3-4 medium sized tomatoes, chopped fairly finely
1 garlic clove, minced finely
1 tablespoon fresh basil, chopped
1/2 teaspoon oregano
2 tablespoons olive oil, plus extra for later
1/4 cup fresh Parmesan, grated
salt and pepper
french baguette

Directions:

Combine chopped tomatoes, minced garlic, basil, oregano, olive oil and Parmesan, and toss to coat. Let rest, covered in fridge for minimum of half an hour to let flavours meld.

To assemble: preheat oven to broil and set rack to the highest setting. Take sliced french baguette and brush top side lightly with olive oil, using a pastry brush. Place on baking sheet and broil for 3-4 minutes (watch carefully so as not to burn, as I did with one batch). Once toasted to a light brown, immediately top with fresh bruschetta mix. Serve while warm.

Source: A Sweet Treats & Healthy Eats Original (ideas taken from several different recipes).

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment