Saturday, September 29, 2012

Spiced Apple Pecan Oatmeal


I love love love dried apples, the kind seen in the background of the picture above. I remember my Opa (Grandpa for those not familiar with German/European languages) drying apples with some ufo-looking device when I was younger. And oh how I enjoyed those apple slices! Moist, chewy, almost gummy in texture, they're packed full of flavour and great for putting in oatmeal, or as I like them best, just alone as a snack!

This is a great breakfast that's very simple to make. It's the kind of oatmeal that 'sticks to your ribs', ie. meaning, it's pretty pasty/gummy. I don't mean that in an unappetizing way, some people love their oatmeal this way, including Sean. Personally it's not my favourite, I prefer the kind of oatmeal from Quaker  (ah-hem, yes, the instant oatmeal packages) where the oats are still in existence after cooking them. However, the flavour was great and it made enough to last Sean and I for the next several mornings.

Ingredients:
2 tablespoons chopped pecans
3 cups apple juice
3 cups milk
2 cups uncooked regular oats (not quick-cooking)
1/2 cup coarsely chopped dried apples
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons cinnamon sugar (half cinnamon, half sugar mixture)
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
brown sugar or maple syrup for topping

Directions:
Toast pecans in a large pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat, stirring constantly, for 5-6 minutes or until toasted. Remove pecans and wipe pot clean.

Bring juice, milk, oats, dried apples and salt to a boil in pot over high heat; reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, stirring occasionally for 15-20 minutes or until thickened. Remove from heat. Cover and let stand for 10 minutes. Stir in cinnamon sugar, vanilla and toasted pecans. Serve immediately. If desired, sprinkle with brown sugar or drizzle with maple syrup for extra goodness. 

Source: Joanna L. Smith, Maylene, Alabama,  via My Recipes Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment